Thursday, April 20, 2006

Where I work








I work at Morikami Japanese Gardens & Museum in the gift shop. I have 30 minutes for my lunch break which is enough to time to scoff a PBJ and power walk through the gardens, which are meticulously maintained and full of Zen-factor. It's a great way to get a breath of fresh air and relax before diving back into the chaos which is the gift shop. People just CANNOT GET ENOUGH of the store's goods. There is a fantastic selection of Japanese fountains, bags, bowls, dolls, chopsticks, lanterns, scrolls, jewellery, candles, candy, toys, books, cards, kimonos and more, and the wealthy suburban matrons who frequent the store seem well-versed in how to feng-shui a house. I have never come across a shop in Australia with a wider variety of Japanese merchandise. I have also never earned such a low wage in my entire life, with every penny I DO earn going towards my lemon car, which oh by the way broke down again last week. Sigh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps one might give a note to said matrons with offers of personalized tours of Japan & Far East?

Angelo Villagomez said...

but do they have Hello Kitty merchandise?