Saturday, April 15, 2006

Hamming it up at Costco




The great American institution of bulk-buying is epitomised by Costco, the wholesale warehouse company that now has 471 locations branching out from the US to Canda, the UK and Asia, including one 5 minutes down the road from us.

'Costco became the first company ever to grow from zero to $3 billion in sales in less than six years.' -taken from Wikipedia's Costco definition.

Kentaro and I both joined up at our local Costco thinking that we'd save a lot by buying in bulk, but have since realised that you can't walk out of the place spending less than $100 because 5kg of sliced ham, 2kg of salad, a barrel of cereal and a gallon of vitamins isn't actually that cheap. And not only can we not fit a pre-packaged 3 loaves of bread in our refrigerator, by the time we've gotten past 1 loaf the other 2 are already stale! Best stick to Walmart I guess.

(Photo taken last year at the Costco in Saipan.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I won't tell anyone you actually researched Costo! Sorry I haven't gotten back to you recently...been slammed with papers...longer update tomorrow! -SB