Thursday, November 16, 2006

Salt and Sesame learn their Japanese names



Salt = Shio
Sesame = Goma

Shio-chan and Goma-chan have been a right pain in the oshiri for the past few weeks. Getting them from Florida to Japan was an effort far more difficult and costly than I could have imagined, but thankfully they withstood their tough journey and have arrived on the other side genkier than ever.

It is cuter than words can describe to see them perched on the maple tree in the backyard of Kentaro's mother's house in Okayama. They have never until now been able to get in touch with their wild birdy roots, and they are revelling in bark-biting and grass-grabbing to their hearts content.

Kentaro and I are also pleased to be in contact with real nature again after 9 months living next to Mt Refuji.

Five Things we have done since coming back to Japan:

1. Had some kind of nabe (hot pot) every night.
2. Bicycled around Okayama soaking up the atmosphere and slurping up the noodles.
3. Taken a business trip to Tokyo and (hopefully) established some contacts that will provide us with an opportunity to work. We need jobs. Desperately.
4. Spent quality time with Kentaro's mother.
5. Frozen our butts off. It's cooooold!

4 comments:

jean said...

Well if you think it's cold now, you ain't seen nothing yet! :) Good luck with the job search. Glad your birds were able to make the trek with you.

Perogyo said...

I can't believe that Shio-chan and Goma-chan will stay in the garden without flying off! Well-trained!

Indy said...

Well the thing is, they can't fly! They're still quite young and we also had their wings clipped once. Goma can kind of spiral downwards and Shio just plummets to the ground. But actually they are such good babies they wouldn't fly away if they could. We put them in one part of the house and call them from the other and they come! So cute to watch them run. ;)

Unknown said...

OMG!!! I have a cat name Goma! And I have his blog too!! I used to have Cokateil too!! They are wonderful birds!!