

Hallelujah say the little birdies and squirrels which scamper around on the ground and wait every morning for me to throw them a piece of bread and the seeds which didn't make the cut for Goma and Shio, spoiled little buggers that they are.
It is nice to be able to enjoy some wildlife that isn't vultures right on my doorstep. My favourites are the Blue Jays and Red-head Woodpeckers which brighten things up as the parrots in Australia do.
And all over the area are beautiful white herons. I was recently sitting in Kentaro's parked car for 10 minutes and allowed to enjoy a one-man show of a heron on a dragonfly eating rampage. I have never seen anything like it. This sleek little birdie went to town on the dragonflies with such precision and gusto that I was whooping and cheering him on as dragonfly after dragonfly got gobbled up without even knowing what was happening.
On the topic of Florida birds - Did you know that wild flamingos are pink because they eat carotene-containing shrimp and that in captivity those shrimp are often substituted with carotene-rich veggies like carrots, beets and red peppers? If they didn't eat them they'd turn white! Wayyyy! But most zoos these days apparently opt for some additives in the bird pellets. Hmm I wonder if I could turn my cockatiels pink...
Such are the interests of my life.
4 comments:
Was alway most fond of the red-headed woody woodpeckers. But a visit to Florida made me wild about the roseatte (sp?) spoonbills. Do they also eat the pink shrimpies?
God I love you! I wish I was in the car watching you watch the herron. I can see it in my head.
Wow - you been there that long? Time flies... Hope to see you soon!!
Cute post! And you know, Grant really does love you - he told me if he didnt like boys that you guys would be together!
And if Kentaro wasn't around of course! ;) But Grant and I have always had a mutual admiration society.
Post a Comment