Just watching the news here makes Kentaro and I depressed. Every day. I'm not talking about news of the war in Iraq, natural disasters in Bangladesh or people starving in Africa. It's the local news that chills us to the bone because it's literally in our backyard.
I have had the thought a few times of posting on this blog the daily headlines to give others an idea of the kind of stuff that happens here, but then I'd be bringing y'all down too.
Fort Lauderdale and Miami (and the surrounding suburbs) have a combined population equivalent to Greater Sydney, but in a typical week or even month back home there wouldn't be a fraction of the heinous crimes that occur here in one day. Murder, rape, hit-and-run, drive-by shooting, fraud is the typical morning news report of the previous night's events. And the scenes of these crimes are all around us, not making for a fuzzy feeling as I'm eating my breakfast bagel. Oi.
But then you look at the people here and the crimes don't seem as surprising. I used to watch Jerry Springer and wonder if those people were actors, and if not where in the world they could walk around as accepted members of society. Eureka!
In speedy end-of-ad disclaimer voice: Of course these generalised views do not apply to all the people I have encountered here and there are certainly exceptions for example all the lovely people I work with and all friends and family in the States and yes I also realise that South Florida is probably not an accurate representation of the United States as a whole in terms of the moral quality of its citizens and no I am not depressed so don't worry, simply alarmed, befuddled and confounded.
Monday, May 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The very sad truth is that most native born Americans cannot answer the questions that are required of those "foreigners" who are applying for citizenship. Be that as it may, there are far worse places to be and Thank God people are coming out from under the ether that has drugged them the last 6 years and are coming to their senses.
Love to you and Kentaro, whom I cannot wait to meet.
Mick in Missouri
Post a Comment