Ahh the yard sale. I could (and should) write a book about the amazing and colourful characters the humble yard sale can attract in South Florida. Holding the sale this time on glamorous A1A we were wondering beforehand if we would even get any bargain-hunters or whether the New York snowbirds would spurn our attempts to flog great crap at low, low prices. Thankfully our fears were abated by a stream of steady customers who paid US to haul away our bits and pieces.
A mid-30s blonde rocked up with her sugar daddy and proceeded to riff through a trunk of my old clothing with such fervour that 10 cars stopped to see what the fuss was about. She ended up buying the whole trunk, and when her daddy handed over cash for the sale, she insisted he was ripping me off and handed me another fistful of cash after he turned his back. Apparently he gives her an $8000/month allowance but it is just never enough!
A seasoned biker couple stopped by and bought ALL of Kentaro's tools then decided to stay for an hour or so and tell us about their travels across the U.S. I convinced the wife that she needed my big purple gypsy skirt and she bought it despite the fact that she hasn't worn a skirt in years. I guess those sales wench days paid off!
An absolute bomb of a car pulled up and a little ol' Jamaican grandma jumped out and made a beeline to my Italian black felt hat. She bargained me down until the price was right for her and then plonked the hat on her little shrivelled face and I so WISH I could have taken her picture as she looked hilarious. I think I wore that hat to the Golden Slipper in Sydney when Catbird won... hope she finds the same luck from wearing it!
Half way through the day Kentaro and I tried a spot of visual merchandising and divvied up the 'guy's stuff' and the girl's stuff' onto separate tables. No sooner had we finished our displays than a couple rocked up and flew like magnets to the appropriate table. The girl oohed and aahed and promptly swiped up most of my Japanese girly memorabilia - candles, fans, norens and the like. The guy got some shot glasses and a hammer and Kentaro and I smiled, pleased with our successful marketing. The rest of the day was smoother and we know what to do for our last attempt this weekend.
And Kentaro sold his Toyota today! Now if we can just sell the Ford, we will really be starting to wrap things up.
Friday, October 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Who is Catbird?
I cannot believe someone who has an $8000 per month allowance thinks it's not enough! Did she have track marks?
Good luck selling the Ford. Wish I could take it off your hands!
Catbird was a great little racehorse that had a last minute injury before the Derby. He did however win Australia's Golden Slipper in 1999.
$8000 doesn't get you THAT far actually in South Florida - what's that, about one diamond ring, a minor breast augmentation, 2 french manicures and 1 highlighting session?
Am hoping to sell the Ford to a starstruck new immigrant who hasn't cottoned onto the 'Fix or Repair Daily' mantra. Thanks for the luck!
Oops - wrong horse! It was actually Sir Cherokee that got scratched from the Derby. My bad.
Post a Comment